Thursday, October 6, 2011

Events and More

I am a work study student at the NMSU student art store and was disconcerted when I  learned that the university was planning on closing the store in 2012.  I am scheduled to graduate in May but I know that having an art store in the art building is a huge benefit to the students.  What disturbed me more is that so few students were aware of this news- until recently.  There is a petition being circulated in hopes that the student voices against the closure will be heard by the university administration.  You may contact graphic art student Sam Bishop or the writer of the following article Cherish Marquez who have taken the initiative regarding the matter.  (You can find Sam painting with me on Tuesday and Thursday mornings 10:30 in the painting room 106 at the Art Department) or reach him at sammib@nmsu.edu.


Professor Stephanie Taylor is quite crafty and wants people to get involved-the following invitation was sent to the NMSU art students but the activity is meant to link the university to the community-if you know how to knit or would like to learn this is a great opportunity..

Yarn Bombing Event!
 
Please join us for the second meeting of craft enthusiasm, Monday October 10 at 5:00.  We’ll be knitting and crocheting al fresco on the West side of Williams Hall.  Bring your yarn and needles from last time.  Bring a  friend! 
Contact Stephanie Taylor for more information (sltaylor@nmsu.edu) Note:  I still have a few skeins of yarn and some needles.  You can purchase more, if you like.  We are using Red Heart Super Saver acrylic yarn, color 0376 “Burgandy”.  More yarn will be available in future.
 
 


The following is for the SumArt October event...




Preston Cotemporary Art has put out a call to artist to enter a regional juried art exhibition entitled The Last Picture Show- the Juror will be Paul Schranz. 

Email
bschranz@prestoncontemporaryart.com   for a prospectus-the proceeds will benefit La Casa Domestic Violence Shelter.  The deadline for submissions is Nov. 15th 2011. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole art-store-closing thing seems really "fishy" to me; I have a few questions but no one to whom I may direct them. If I was a begining art student, I'd be reeeeallly passionate about investigating the issue (I would have written a post back in October when the time was ripe for getting proactive... but haven't been to this blog till now). Back to the point of the art store--I guess the way it is for me, now = "Who REALLY knows, and WHO really cares?" I've a few thoughts on the reasons for it, but I'm uninformed (just a student) & the speculation has no place in a comment on a blog. SO GLAD I'M NOT STICKING AROUND, THOUGH! K.Krattiger

Katy said...

Sorry I'm just getting back to you-The date of the post is October 6. A group of students got a petition going but when they talked to the Dean of A & S, she told them that is was futile-I'm sure the decision had already been finalized before they even told the employees. Even then it all seemed hushed-until I started mentioning it to students that were coming into the store-none of the students had a clue-I don't believe they have a say at all.